Decades of rich clinical and research experience has evolved into a strong foundation for imparting training and education to various groups of mental health professionals.
- Internships and placements for training to students of Social work, Psychiatry, Nursing, Occupational therapy and medical graduates. Students come in from all parts of the country and from other regions in the continent
- Orientation to mental health and care : Regular lectures are offered to various groups of students and health professionals from the government and other institutions
- PhD: Dr.M.G.R. Medical University, Tamil Nadu has approved SCARF as a centre for PhD studies in “Mental health and Social Sciences’. Dr. Thara, Director of SCARF is an approved guide for PhD.. Over the years, several researchers have been guided for their PhD at SCARF
- Accreditation to the National Boards: Since 2009, SCARF is recognised as a centre for training medical graduates for a post graduate diploma in Psychiatry by the National Board of Examinations (NBE). Three batches of students has successfully completed their post graduate training here . Ms.Yamini Kannappan (2009 Batch) in December 2011 received the Dr.Sarada Menon Gold Medal for Psychiatry for her excellence in the examinations.
- Research: Students are actively encouraged to conduct well designed, ethically approved studies at SCARF. They receive active mentoring for their research.
- Community Mental Health: In keeping with the philosophy of the National Mental Health Program, SCARF has actively pursued community based delivery for mental health care – this has involved an active training of community level workers in the field for recognising mental health conditions and in implementing care and psychosocial interventions
- Psychosocial Rehabilitation: Mental health professionals are provided in-depth training in the planning and implementation of psychosocial interventions.
- Training in Dementia Care: A series of training programmes have been started for nurses, nursing aids, home care assistants and family members on ways of dealing with persons with dementia.
CONFERENCES AND WORKSHOPS
- International Conference on Schizophrenia (IConS) is a biennial event organised by SCARF – one of the very few conference conducted by a non-governmental organisation. IConS is forum where researchers from all over the world meet to lecture and discuss developments in the field of Schizophrenia and related areas. The overall emphasis of the conference is, how research in Schizophrenia influences clinical practice.
- Workshops: In collaboration with SAMARTH –Research for change – an NGO in Chennai, two annual workshops are conducted. Training is provided in Research Methodology and in Qualitative research methods
(For more information visit www.scarfindia.org)